THE EUROPEAN FISHERIES CONTROL AGENCY - EFCA - IS A EUROPEAN UNION BODY ESTABLISHED IN 2005 TO ORGANISE OPERATIONAL COORDINATION OF FISHERIES CONTROL AND INSPECTION ACTIVITIES BY THE MEMBER STATES AND TO ASSIST THEM TO COOPERATE SO AS TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES OF THE COMMON FISHERIES POLICY IN ORDER TO ENSURE ITS EFFECTIVE AND UNIFORM APPLICATION.
The Agency follows the personnel policy of the Staff Regulations applicable to European Institutions and Bodies. The successful candidates will be offered a post on the basis of these Staff Regulations.
The EFCA is organising selection procedures with a view to drawing up a reserve list of a maximum of 8 candidates for the following position:
EFCA – CA – FGIII – 1402 – SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
The Agency will welcome applications from highly motivated candidates to participate in the development of EFCA.
Candidates are recruited on the condition they have full rights as a citizen. Candidates must have fulfilled any obligations imposed on them by law concerning military service and meet the character requirements for the duties involved.
The EFCA has an independent and separate recruitment process from other EU institutions or other EU agencies.
In its recruitment, the EFCA only considers applications relating to positions which have been advertised, which means that unsolicited applications are not processed, with a view to maintain equal treatment of applicants. If a candidate considers that he/she has been adversely affected by a particular decision, he/she can lodge a complaint under Article 90(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Communities and Conditions of employment of other servants of the European Communities to the Executive Director of the EFCA.
1. Conditions of employment
The successful applicants will be appointed as Contract Staff members of EFCA, according to the provisions of Article 3a, title I of the Conditions of Employment of other servants of the European Communities (CEOS). They must abide by the obligations of the Staff Regulations including the provisions regarding conflict of interest.
The successful candidates will be recruited in the grade mentioned in the title of the offered position.
Recruitment follows the rules and practices of EU Institutions and bodies and successful candidates are offered:
- one-year renewable contracts as Contract Agent.
The place of employment is Vigo, Spain.
2. General conditions for applications
Candidates may apply only where meeting the following criteria for consideration of their application:
You must be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union or of Iceland or Norway.
You must be entitled to your full rights as a citizen.
You must have fulfilled the obligations imposed on you by law concerning military service.
You must meet the character requirements relating to the position you apply for.
You must submit a completed application for each post applied for.
Candidates may apply in any of the official languages of the European Union, but it would be helpful to apply in English in order to facilitate the selection process, when the Agency follows a practise of using English as working language. However candidates are also requested to state their educational qualifications and positions held in the language of origin.
The Agency is an equal opportunity employer and accepts applications without discrimination on the grounds of age, race, political and/or religious beliefs, sex or sexual orientation, marital and/or family status and regardless any kind of disability.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be asked to submit supporting documents to prove the information provided in your application.
B. Submission of applications
Each application shall contain the following documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae in European format (that can be obtained at the following address http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home),
- A duly completed and signed declaration of honour ( ~87 Kb),
- A motivation letter of 2 pages maximum including a clear mention of the post applied for and of your address for correspondence and for invitation to interview.
These three documents should be sent by electronic mail only to:
Please mention in the subject line your last name followed by the position reference:
FAMILY NAME – EFCA-CA-XXX-XXXX
Please, note that only complete applications containing the above mentioned documents and information required will be taken into account.
Deadline for sending your application is: 21 NOVEMBER 2014
3. Selection procedure
A selection board is set up for the selection procedure. The principle of confidentiality is enshrined in Article 6 of Annex III to the Staff Regulations, which states that the proceedings of the selection board must be secret. It works in two ways: first, it imposes obligations to ensure equal treatment for candidates; and second, it seeks to protect the selection board to ensure that its decisions are totally impartial.
The applicants are informed on the composition of the selection board. Interviews are planned to take place during the second half of January 2015. Candidates are not allowed to contact personally members of the selection board, either directly or indirectly, in relation to the competition. Any infringement of this rule constitutes ground for disqualification from the selection procedure.
Should the selection board discover at any stage in the procedure that the candidate does not meet one or more of the general or special conditions for admission to the selection procedure or that the information on the application form does not correspond with the supporting documents, the candidate will be disqualified.
The selection board decides on those candidates who are admitted to the selection procedure in accordance with the requirements as specified in the publication notice. The applications of the candidates admitted to the selection procedure are reviewed and the selection board decides on those candidates who are invited to attend for interview. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The interviewees will be asked to undergo a written test involving at least an anonymous qualifying part, a part aiming at assessing the specific competences required for the job and a part aiming at assessing the general competencies required to be an European Union temporary staff.
Following the interviews, a reserve list of suitable candidates will be set up.
B. Reserve list and recruitment
Each candidate interviewed will be informed by letter whether or not he/she has been placed on the reserve list. The validity of the reserve list is up to 2 years from the date of the letter informing the candidate and may be extended. Therefore candidates whose name will be put on a reserve list could be offered a contract during this period of time. Candidates should note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment. The recruitment procedure is as follows: as and when funds become available, candidates on the reserve list will be considered and the reserve list will be drawn on to fill vacancies. If a letter of intention is issued, the candidate must undergo a compulsory medical examination to establish that he/she meets the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved and the candidate must provide original or certified copies of all relevant documents.
The Agency employs Temporary Agents in accordance with the Conditions of employment of other servants of the European Communities. Selected candidates will be offered a one-year renewable contract.
Successful candidates who are recruited undergo an initial probation period of 9 months.
C. Pay and welfare benefits
The pay of staff members consists of a basic salary, to be weighted to compensate the Vigo cost of living and of additional allowances and deductions.
• Basic Salary: There is a basic salary scale for each function group, divided into a number of grade and steps. Staff members may progress to the next step every two years.
Contract Agents at EFCA shall be appointed to the Function Group set out in the notice of the selection procedure they have passed. The basic monthly starting salary for the lowest grade of Function Group III is 2.476,74 (figures in Euro valid as of 1 January 2014 not including allowances). A Contract Agent shall be recruited at the first step of the grade. For the classification into grade, any duly certified professional activity connected with one of EFCA’s areas of activity shall be taken into account. Any given period may be counted only once.
Allowances: In addition to their basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, in particular an expatriation or foreign residence allowance (depending whether the candidate has left his/her Member State to take up employment with the EFCA), and family allowances (depending on personal circumstances): household allowance, dependent child allowance, preschool allowance, education allowance.
Deductions: Staff pays an EU tax at source and deductions are also made for medical insurance, pensions and unemployment insurance. Salaries are exempt from national tax.
Under certain circumstances, in particular where staff members are obliged to change their place of residence in order to take up employment, the Agency may also reimburse various expenses incurred on recruitment, notably removal expenses.
Additional information can be obtained from the web site of the EFCA. Furthermore, the following link gives you direct access to the Staff Regulations.
Please, take note that a binding commitment can only be made after verification of all conditions and will take the form of a contract signed by the Executive Director.
Please note that the selection process may take some time to be completed and that no information will be released during this period. Once a selection process has been completed, its status will be displayed on the web site of EFCA.
D. Data Protection
Please take note of the information on data protection for candidates in EFCA recruitment procedures.
4. Specific requirements and details of positions offered
To assist to the work of Unit B – Capacity Building in the framework of providing operational support to Member States, European Commission and horizontal support to the Agency’s activities in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) covering operational and corporate systems, thus contributing to achieve the objectives of the work programmes for the Unit and the general objectives of the EFCA.
Function and Duties:
Under the Head of Unit B – Capacity Building, and as regards the day-to-day work, under the direct supervision of the Head of the ICT Section, the jobholder will be responsible for:
- System administration of the Agency’s servers based on Microsoft and Red Hat Linux Operating Systems;
- Perform the installation of various servers and services based on Microsoft Technologies (AD,CA, DNS/DHCP; NAP, AD RMS, EXCHANGE, SQL), based on GNU/Linux technologies (JBoss, Oracle, Apache, Glassfish etc.);
- Provide second level support to Agency staff and end-users (identify and resolve incidents);
- Monitor and maintain the ICT infrastructure;
- Design, deploy and update of reference server configurations and security patch management;
- Implement the backup policy, disaster recovery and archiving and improve them;
- Contribute to the drafting of and implement ICT policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Contribute and implement projects relevant to corporate services, including planning, budget execution, monitoring of tasks and deliveries, reporting and documentation;
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and experience required
A. Eligibility criteria
- A level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three years;
- Very good command of English with a satisfactory knowledge of at least one other official language of the European Union.
B. Selection criteria
- Excellent knowledge and working experience in administration Microsoft Windows operating systems (Desktop >7 and Servers >2012);
- Excellent knowledge and experience in administering Red Hat Enterprise Linux servers;
- Excellent knowledge and working experience with VMware VSphere 5.x;
- Good working knowledge managing Red Hat Jboss Middleware or similar;
- Good working knowledge of Blades, SAN, Fibre Channel, Tape libraries technologies;
- Good working knowledge in managing Oracle Database servers;
- Working knowledge with GNU/Linux distributions (Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu);
- Proven experience in the management and support of ICT infrastructure in similar environments;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites (2010);
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate effectively in English, especially when giving support to end-users.
- Microsoft Certification;
- Red Hat Certification;
- VMware Certification;
- Proven working experience with routers, switches and firewalls;
- Knowledge of ITIL and/or ITIL certification;
- Knowledge and/or experience with EU ICT policies and infrastructure.